Sunday, May 24, 2009

T-minus 42 hours

I can't believe this whimsical idea I came up with back in February actually happened, and that it's here already! I have been looking forward to it, but I guess it wasn't really real until now. Every time my supervisor would take out his palm to schedule something in this week, he'd look up and say, "What's this I have here, you're going to be away? Where are you going?" and I'd explain patiently that it's my 30th birthday, and I'm going to New York City to celebrate with my best girl friend, take in spring in New York and just enjoy myself after a deadly brutal four months of craziness at work. And he would nod thoughtfully, affirm that I needed a vacation, and file the knowledge away for the next time he asked me why I had booked the week off.

Now whether that absent-mindedness on his part was subconscious denial that I was actually planning to leave him to his own devices for a week, I'm not sure, but either way, it's here and there is a sh*tload of stuff to do (sorry mom, and S&P, you CAN swear on your own blog - so there.)

So I'm up super late tonight - partly because my sleep schedule's been out of whack for several months now (but really, has it ever been "in whack?"), and partly because there is so much to be done I'm really not sure what to do first. Yesterday was a flurry of family-ness as we gathered to celebrate Sister and Nephew's birthdays, eat barbeque and watch the little boys play like oversized puppies on sugar cubes. Hence, nothing otherwise productive was achieved.

So here's what's on the docket for Sunday:
- do laundry
- pack bag
- drive down to greyhound station to pick up toiletry bag I forgot on the sunshine coast last weekend and someone had to... oh forget it. long story.
- buy some new jeans and at least one top that doesn't make me look like a fat granny with a penchant for bad business attire/find a top that could be worn in the type of NYC nightspot I couldn't tell my mother I went to.
- Check that I have all of the requisite toiletry type business for the flight
- charge camera battery

The one really smart thing I've done in preparation for our imminent departure is get my chair tuned up. I woke up on thursday morning and the casters were locked up tight. Believe me, the thought of that sort of resistance training wheeling around NYC is not my idea of a great vacation, and the idea of leaving my chair in the hands of a stranger in New York makes me feel a little nauseous. My chair is all greased, tightened and de-hairified, and so I can at least say that the most important form of transportation on our trip is officially booked.

I keep thinking of when we'll finally meet up at the airport (S&P and I haven't traveled together before like this, mostly just road trips to my parents' place), what that will be like. I live to travel. It is my absolute favourite thing in the world, and I'm so excited to be going somewhere to just do that. The fact that I get to have someone smart and fun whom I'm close to to share it with, that's even better.

S&P and I have both had a rough few months at work - S&P is more on the "I hate this job and you can all go screw yourselves" side of things and I'm more in the "I just cant sustain this craziness for one more second" realm, but suffice it to say that both of us deserve a good massage by my husband, Chris Martin, and to be custom fit in the Christian Louboutin factory.

So now - before I keel over and fall asleep on the floor, I will conclude this post by wondering exactly how I'm going to survive the next few hours without a meltdown? How lame is that, to have a stress breakdown about your own vacation. Truly LAME.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness you don't know how much I just busted a gut, I SO needed that - for this grand Sunday - that I ack am somehow begining at 6:30am... ewww.

    1. Finish off last assignment, properly MLA the others and all that jazz (said with jazz hands a la Jack)...

    2. Fish out summer clothes, try on, pray they fit and so on - and then pack

    Before 2 is accomplished 1a. must occur - STARBUCKS and I think I need a suitcase first too, so off to my dad's...

    Blech I think we stay with all that since I don't know what my brain is able to hold at the moment, and yes that is completely and utterly how I feel and yet I have attempted to Mother Hen (as she is so nicknamed - loong story) proof the office...

    ReplyDelete