Thursday, May 28, 2009

JandJinNYC -Day 1

J and I (S&P) have decided that the way to tackle the food issue in NYC is to do oatmeal breakfast in room, lunch where we can find it - Maureen, our fellow shuttle buser, recommended we visit whatever deli is closest to us at the time and see what's in store. And for dinner? We've decided that we are going to try and eat through the various ethnic cuisines our general area has to offer. Last night being that we were completely exhausted beyond our comprehension, we picked the Thai restaurant across from our resident Starbucks haunt, since we knew it wouldn't require navigating the Subway exhausted and hungry or paying an exhaustive amount for a cab.

Luscious Thai - 60th Avenue and 1st Ave

Not that I'm an alcoholic, but I must say their Guava martini was probably the best martini I have ever had, the glass was rimmed with sugar, salt and chili, giving a wonderful combination of 3 of 4 flavour profiles central to Thai cooking (salty, sweet, sour, spicy). We followed it with Som Tom (Green Papaya Salad), fresh, crunchy and a perfect combo of salt from the fish sauce, sour from the green papaya, sweet from the tomato and cane sugar, and spice from the chili. Pad Thai was our entree of choice and while it wasn't perfectly authentic it was fresh and a large serving. We splurged for dessert - deep fried ice cream and I finished the whole evening with an amazing cup of coffee. I cannot say it enough, I am sure it was probably the best cup of coffee I've had in a restaurant and maybe ever.

In total in worked out to be $48 + tip.

1 comment:

  1. I was totally drooling with your description of your dinner! Sounds fantastic. I've never been to the UN building -- did you bump into the Korean ambassador -- probably not, he's trying his best to hide out right now!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete